Saturday, June 14, 2014

Guest Post-Katie Miller

Katie Miller of Cambridge has written a guest post about her experience showing cattle:

Katie Miller will show three heifers and a cow/calf pair
at this years Henry County Fair
Cattle have always interested me and have become my 
passion. My grandparents have a herd of commercial cows. They were my inspiration for becoming involved in the beef industry. My grandparents help me with my cattle and teach me many valuable lessons needed in order to raise my cattle. They helped me start my showing career by purchasing me my first bucket calf, Pandi, for 4-H. I had a great experience with Pandi that I decided I would continue showing bucket calves and someday steers and heifers. I have shown steers and heifers for 4 years now and enjoy every minute of it! We go to shows across Illinois. This year I have 3 heifers and a cow/calf pair to show.
Being involved in the beef industry has given me many opportunities. I served as a Henry County Beef Ambassador and worked to promote our county association and the industry. I also will be attending the IBA EDGE conference which will teach me how to advocate for the industry and ways to be more involved.
I have been busy preparing for the fair for months! I have walked and washed my calves many times to prepare them for the shows. It is a lot of work, but I truly enjoy every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment