Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Guest Post-Lauren VanDeVelde

Lauren VanDeVelde, has written a guest post about her experience as Miss Henry County 2013:

Lauren VanDeVelde-2013 Miss Henry County Fair
This past year as the 2013 Henry County Fair Queen has been an experience of a lifetime!  From meeting many great people to spending an entire week at the Henry County Fair, every moment has been amazing.  I grew up attending the fair every year but experiencing it as the queen has made me appreciate it so much more.  I spent fair week watching the livestock shows, handing out ribbons and trophies, riding rides, helping with grandstand events, and of course eating every type of fair food I could get my hands on!  After fair week, I spent the summer with my Jr Miss Lauren, Little Miss Olivia, and pageant director Kelli traveling to parades and other area pageants. We had a lot of fun continuing to eat fair food and watching local county queens be crowned.  At the end of summer we enjoyed County Fair Day at the State Fair. This was a fun day full of meeting other queens and exploring the state fair grounds and all it has to offer.  In the fall I was thrilled to help at various events in the county such as the Demo Derby Fundraiser for Jackie English, a trivia night to raise funds for the Braveheart Children’s Advocacy Center and collecting toys and then helping to distribute them for our area Toys for Needy Children Campaign.  Volunteering and helping people in need is always a great feeling!  I also spent a lot of time preparing to represent my county at the Miss Illinois County Fair Queen Pageant in January.  It was a weekend full of excitement and making many new friends. The support I felt from residents of Henry County and all of my family and friends was something I will never forget! The rest of my year will be filled with more community service, parades, and of course the pageant on the opening day of the Henry County Fair. I cannot wait to meet all of the beautiful girls competing for the title.  I’m sure the new queen will love every minute of it just as I did!  I would encourage any young woman to do this pageant.  It is really an awesome experience that will give you skills for your future such as interview and public speaking.  It also gives you the chance to make new friends, get more involved in your county and not to mention another chance to wear that pretty prom dress!

~Lauren VanDeVelde
2013 Miss Henry County Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment